Thursday, February 11, 2010

I didn't fully understand this chapter. As elementy as it sounds there were a lot of words that I didn't know which lead me to be unsure of some of the situation. The teenagers walked out of their Philadelphia HS because they did not want their school to be private. I believe they were attempting to make a stand for the inconsistencies in the Edison's School Inc. plan to make their school private like how the funding would brand them, how they were already in a sense branded, and things like the teachers salaries. I think the ethos that they have with each other is the sense of them being controlled as a group and not being included in important decision making issues. The residents of the Philidelphia shared an ethos of being controlled also they were not included in this decision. The parents shared the ethos of being controlled in an opinion but also being controlled about important decisions that may involve something very personal to them, their children. I'm not sure they shared to much of an ethos with the school board, media or Edison. Again, I don't fully understand this movement by the teens so it is very hard for me to determine the ethos. I don't think education is an actuall franchise it is just a system developed for children to get an education and it has worked with several modification for a very long time. I think that some people could see it as a franchise because there is always change. I think that it should have definately included the Philidelphia residents especially since it effects their children in many ways. I don't really see any way I am personally affected by any kind of franchising in school but I was there and am still here for a reason, that reason being to learn as long as I am not personally being charged for Pepsi or Coke to put a vending machine in I just don't care. I'm sure some of the money I pay goes to something that I would rather not support but it is the same way in my utility bills, credit card bills and taxes so it is hard for me to be very concerned. The government will some how find a way to always take advantage of us for some greater cause that we as individuals would find ridiculous so we don't have a lot of choice other than to vote when possible to change things or deal with it. I would only like to be consulted in a situation like this if I had a say so. If it is a situation that our opinion is not going to make an actuall difference then I might go along with the flow depending on the situation.

1 comment:

  1. To start off I'd like to give you a little tip on reading. It's hard for me to understand some words also, I circle the words I don't know, go through and look them up and reread the sentence. If convenient I read close to a computer and always have the dictionary.com pulled up, it really helps when I can actually remember the defintion for next time!
    I really liked how you said you would only want consultated if you opinion was useful; that makes a lot of sense. Whats the point of getting all upset if theres nothing you can do about it as an individual. I feel defeated when it comes to any issue involving school or the government.
    I agree with you on the ethos too! It was hard for me to pick them out! Dont get discouraged!

    ReplyDelete