Monday, February 1, 2010

Project Proposal for Branded

When I sat down to write my project proposal I first had to think of the overall writing assignment. The issue I am interested in is the (APK) Annual Advertising and Promoting to Kids. The writing assignment ask us to provide an argument. My goal is to provide an opposing view from Alissa Quart’s, to the parents that are not sure how the marketers take advantage of their children. Quart offers her analysis of the fourth annual APK as an event for “celebrating marketers’ ability to take advantage of kids (page 47).”

I intend to research this event and some of the top marketers behind it and see what they provide youth in a positive way. I would like parents to see that these marketers have effect on our youth but it is up to them to personally raise their child/children as to whether they get taken advantage of.

I know so far that the book Branded has been very well researched. I also can see that in a few descriptive words we are led to form an opinion before finishing a sentence. Being an open minded person, I am also able to look at both sides and not stand firmly enough on one or the other to stand on a side outside of this classroom. I believe Quart intended for this book to make young people form an opinion that is favorable to her view which in a way is taking advantage of them herself. From what I know so far there are a lot of different views that agree or oppose to Quarts that I would like to address.

7 comments:

  1. Great topic for your argument! I'm glad you are reading with an open mind AND you are write, as an author, what is his/her goal? To motivate them into their way of thinking :O Great!

    So what have you found so far about the APK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting. I'm excited to hear more about this topic. I wish I were as open minded as you. I seem to stand firm with my opinion; the youth is being taken advantage of by the market and it's not right.

    Let me know what you find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really have not found anything supporting or opposing the APK. If you have any suggestions let me know because I think I'm gonna have a difficult time writing this paper based on the available resources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you may find is that you have to switch your topic. If so, let me know. What you done any research on Google?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your topic is a very unique topic. Do you think that there is enough information to convey an opposing argument? Also do you think the teens are unaware or do you think the parents are to blame?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that I can still wrtie my paper on the same topic with different research. I checked google and everywhere about the APK and found nothing so if it is ok i will stick with the same topic and just show a different side based on some of the brand names that Quart focused on such as, NIKE, GAP, and some of the others. I also do not think that anyone is at blame so much as people are unaware and we can't just have a world without brands. I just think that parents need to be aware of both sides and use their best judgement and guidance. I hope this idea is ok to write about. Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's fine. I didn't realize that it was possible to have to narrow of a topic. Good luck with your search for sources.

    ReplyDelete